Skip to content skip to secondary navigation Top of the page

Tshepong

About us

Corporate profile

Harmony, a gold mining and exploration company, conducts its activities in South Africa, one of the world's best-known gold mining regions, and in Papua New Guinea, one of the world's premier new gold-copper regions. Harmony, which has more than six decades of experience, was South Africa's third largest gold producer and the twelfth largest in the world in FY16. We are currently growing a significant gold-copper portfolio in Papua New Guinea.

At Harmony, we understand the significant impact our company has on the lives of people, on the communities that surround our mines, on the environment, and on the economic well-being of the countries in which we operate.

In South Africa, our operations are focused on the world-renowned Witwatersrand Basin. In addition, we have an open pit mine on the Kraaipan Greenstone Belt. We operate nine underground mines, one open-pit mine and several surface operations.

Our operation in Papua New Guinea is the Hidden Valley open-pit gold and silver mine. We also have a 50:50 joint venture partnership with Newcrest Mining Limited (Newcrest) which includes the Golpu project in Morobe Province and significant exploration tenements. In addition, Harmony has a wholly-owned exploration portfolio that focuses on highly prospective areas in Papua New Guinea, including the Kili Teke gold-copper prospect.

In FY16, our South African operations accounted for 93% of total production of 1.08Moz, with the remaining 7% coming from Papua New Guinea. At the same time, our South African holdings represented 55% of our mineral resource base, while those in Papua New Guinea represented 45%. In terms of gold equivalent ounces, 62% of total mineral reserves are gold and 38% copper.

Harmony has been a very successful explorer in Papua New Guinea, by investing in and growing the Golpu project and by discovering the Kili Teke prospect. In developing a portfolio of world-class gold-copper assets in Papua New Guinea – replacing ounces at a discovery cost of less than US$10 per gold equivalent ounce – we are creating excellent long-term value for Harmony's shareholders.

Recent news

Harmony is a dynamic and ever-changing company and our story is continuously evolving. Visit the news and events section of this website to get the latest instalments to the Harmony story. Read more

Annual report

Integrated annual report 2016
Integrated annual report 2016

(HTML & PDFs)

Investor brief

Harmony Investor brief, Sep 2017
September 2017 -
Harmony Investor brief

(PDF - 6.5MB)

Scam e-mail alert

Investors should beware of receiving e-mails from individuals claiming to be directors of Harmony. The directors will never directly request funds or investments as this is handled purely by Harmony’s Investor Relations team.