Meeting the multifaceted needs of our people is an integral part of line management at Harmony’s operations, guided by group policies and a central human resources and employee relations function. Given the imperatives in South Africa and in the mining industry to entrench diversity and equal opportunity, our approach to attracting, retaining and developing historically disadvantaged South Africans and women remains a priority. Equally, in PNG, we focus on recruiting landowners and local citizens.
Progress on employment equity and transformational issues is monitored by the empowerment committee of the board, which meets quarterly.
- 25% of our workforce have moved from hostel accommodation to single or family units
- Five old hostels are being converted to create 1 700 family units by 2014
- Harmony has spearheaded a tripartite agreement with national and provincial government to accelerate home ownership.
- Hostel de-densification process; accommodation and living conditions
- Promoting skills development and employment in our communities
- Promoting sound and constructive employee relations
- Steady progress on employment equity
- Integrating systems and implementing workplace disease management methodologies
- Projects related to our social and labour plans, and local economic development.
For further information, please see our sustainable development report 2012