Harmony values the health and well-being of all its employees and the communities affected by its activities. The company is therefore committed to preventing all illnesses – not only occupational illnesses but other lifestyle diseases such as hypertension, diabetes and HIV – through continued medical surveillance, active case finding, early detection and treatment as part of an integrated managed healthcare system.
Highlights in FY17
In South Africa
- Proactive, preventative healthcare model yielded benefits with decreased rates of hospitalisation and medical mortality
- Number of employees confirming their HIV/Aids status increased from 73% to 78%
- Decline in TB rate continued, down by 10% year-on-year
- Actively involved with certification process to address backlogs and assist the mining industry in quantifying the silicosis risk
- Improved efficiencies at the Medical Bureau of Occupational Disease enabled removal of employees with certified second degree silicosis from further risky work environment thus reducing rate of progression of silicosis
In Papua New Guinea
- Analytical laboratory (testing for tropical diseases like malaria) and X-Ray (TB screening) facilities installed at Hidden Valley
- Monitoring of industrial hygiene began at Hidden Valley with a focus on dust (silica), noise and diesel particulates
For further information, please see our Integrated annual report 2017.